Monday, November 4, 2019

November 4

I spent most of yesterday afternoon re-watching all the Nationals-related content I had recorded on my DVR. I re-watched Game 7 with a far greater appreciation for how brutal it was to watch AJ Hinch's one decision (replacing Greinke) snowball as he walked out to the mound over and over to replace his relievers while Gerrit Cole sat unmoving in the bullpen, Howie Kendrick golfing that low cutter out of the park and realizing he hit game-winning home runs in Game 5 versus the Dodgers and Game 7 versus the Astros, and the sweet relief when Hudson recorded that last out. It was also amusing to listen to the quick shift in tone of Joe Buck (the worst) and John Smoltz as the Nats took the lead in the seventh inning as well as the air being sucked out of the stadium. All of it.

I watched the MLB Network post-game with great amusement and a few tears in my eyes. The guys, cleared buzzed, coming out for interviews, the love they showed for each other, the consistent responses about being one of twenty-five, of yes, staying in the fight, all of the things that teamwork stand for. I watched the three-hour parade that happened on Saturday. It was broadcast on MLB but the coverage was local, which was nice. It made me feel a little part of home, the local businesses, the familiar landmarks, the thousands of fans bedecked in Curly Ws. There were clips from the playoffs, interviews with players, and all the rest. It was really lovely. I do love my team. 


Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment