Thursday, November 14, 2019

November 14

I gave some additional thought to that "decade is almost over what have you done" meme. The reality is, I had an ok decade. If I look at the financial side, I earn 50% more than I did in 2010; my mortgage, which was $310,000 when the decade started is now just over $136,000 and I will probably pay it off before I retire. Speaking of retiring, if I continue on the path I am on, I will probably be able to hang it up at age 60 and still live comfortably for the rest of my life. I live (alone) in a four-bedroom house in a nice suburb. I am ~ comfortable ~ 

In the 2010s there was one day that I would include in a top 5 list of the best days of my life (of course, there are 2, maybe 3 I would include in the *worst* days of my life too ...) I achieved a great deal and yet I feel largely unfulfilled. I deny myself things or put off other things all the time. I want more of a social life; I *really* want to have someone in my life who cares about and supports me (and vice versa) and plus, I'm not a braggart, humility is my jam, so I do not go around beating my chest at how great I am. 

I don't know. Again, does any of this really matter? Does an arbitrary calendar date serve as a meaningful benchmark for where you are in life? 

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment