Wednesday, November 13, 2019

November 13

There is a tweet getting a lot of attention these days. It says, (paraphrasing) that with a month left in the decade, what have you done? I never respond to them, I assume tweets like this are just thirst traps by a different name or, data mining operations, but it is an interesting question to ponder. For people like me who are hard on themselves, who reject compliments or recognition, it is easy to dwell on all the things *you did not* do - I mean, I live my life like a virtual hermit, never travel, am stalled professionally, have only a few friends, and rarely date - and think, total failure. I wasted an entire DECADE getting to this point. GREAT JOB. More reasoned analysis would point to the promotions I received, the cases in which I prevailed, the generosity of spirit I have shown, my rock star turn as a cat dad and maybe say on balance, "good job." 

It all seems arbitrary anyway. Will the world look especially different on January 1, 2020 than it did on December 31, 2019? I get the idea of using new years as convenient points at which to pick up good habits, after all, I quit smoking on December 31, 1999, but I do not need a decade's end to do a self-polish on my personal (or professional) CV.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment