Saturday, November 16, 2019

November 16

My day started at exactly 3:47 am when I was awakened by a familiar sound - Ghost aggressively grooming Pumpkin and her hissing at him when she got tired of him doing it. The rest of the situation played out as it always does - I roll over, growl "GUYS" to get them to stop going after each other, followed by Pumpkin jumping off the bed and me rolling over, trying to fall back asleep.

This morning, my efforts were only partly successful. I nodded off but just past 5, the alarm went off and away I went. I was at the diner (New Jersey's one redeeming quality, its diners and the wait staff that knows your "usual" without even having to look at a menu) by 5:30, back home by 6. Showered, back out the door, and at the grocery store by 7:30. A quick detour to the office to print out a reply brief that was filed late last night, and home by 9. A stop at the bank and the library also happened before 10 am and then it was taking stock of the newly refurbished sun room, cleaning what I could, trimming back some bushes in the back yard and back in the shower before noon.

Yes, all of this happened before 12:00 today. On the one hand, it feels great to be so productive, but on the other, it reminds of the saying that you should not confuse motion for progress. A lot of this is simply maintenance, wheel spinning in service of just keeping my little "non profit" that I call my life afloat for another day. 

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment