Tuesday, April 16, 2019

April 16

Well, I am going to buy a new car. It is not the smartest financial decision, but not the dumbest one either. I am going to treat myself to something I do not need but want - I am not borrowing money to buy it and so, I do not feel *that* guilty. 

I do not like being in debt - I do not ask for favors or money from friends or family. I pay my credit card bill in full every month. I have never been late on a utility, phone, or cable bill. I do this because long ago (like my early 20s), I was in debt - student loans, credit cards - the whole nine for what you expect from someone young, unwise in the ways of the world and trying to get by. It was not a good feeling and it is one that lingers with me more than two decades later. 

The only debt I have is my home mortgage, which I am chiseling away at in chunks with the "found" money I received from my unexpected inheritance. Doing this does not afford me the ability to live a life of luxury, but it does allow me to go to bed at night not worrying about bill collectors. For me, that is a very fair tradeoff.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment