Friday, April 12, 2019

April 12

I am doing something very atypical. I am thinking about treating myself to something nice. I live a pretty frugal lifestyle -- I think I spend more on my cats than myself -- but after I was in my car accident last summer, I had to get a new car quickly. The one I bought is fine, in that it gets me from "a" to "b," but I bought it used, with about 32,000 miles on it and after eight or so months, the things I do not like about it are showing. And I know it is ridiculous to complain about a less-than-four-year-old car when a lot of people drive cars that are ten or more years old, but here we are.

So I am looking at buying a new car, the first new (like right off the factory line) car I have purchased since I was just out of college and bought a Honda that lasted until damn near my 40th birthday. I have the money to do it, I won't borrow money, I will pay for it out of pocket, but I am so unaccustomed to splurging on myself, it feels "wrong" in some way. I have a price in mind for what I want to spend and a little wiggle room if it is close, I just wonder whether, when push comes to shove, I will go through with it.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

2 comments:

  1. You can get a better deal buying a 5 year old luxury car from a direct private sale. You can evaluate the previous owner plus you can get a trusted mechanic to examine it. You'll save a good bit of money and avoid owning the steep depreciation of a new car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do it
    If you made another car last that long, you may as well buy new.
    As you said, you don't spend much on yourself, so treat yourself.

    ReplyDelete