Thursday, April 11, 2019

April 11

The start of The Masters inevitably reminds me of the absolute nadir of my career. In 2003, I had been unemployed for nearly seven months when that year's tournament started. On that Thursday, I got a call from one of the legal temp agencies I had registered with and was told there was a short assignment - three days - starting the following day and going through the weekend. I jumped at it. Over the course of those 72 hours, I worked 36 of them. The pressure to get a paycheck was enormous. My wife at the time flat refused to work since she was laid off more than a year before that, and did not even bother to collect unemployment (yes, you are reading that right).

As it turned out, that weekend was a turning point. About a week after that assignment ended, I got a long-term assignment that lasted until we moved to New Jersey in early 2004 and I started a new career with a firm here, but I always remember that Masters weekend and what bottom looks like.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment