Tuesday, March 19, 2019

March 19

I am about halfway through a book called Okay, Fine, Whatever. I picked it up because the author, Courtenay Hameister, has generalized anxiety disorder and the book is purportedly about a year in which she went outside her comfort zone and tried new things. I thought I might find some inspiration, but the results thus far have been wanting. The book is kind of about trying new things - I mean, she uses a sensory deprivation tank, smokes pot, and goes to a strip club - but it is mostly a diary of her dating life. Hameister is in her mid-40s and has been overweight most of her adult life. She was a virgin until age 34 (props for coughing up that nugget publicly) and had a lone serious relationship, which she deconstructs in painful detail. 

Of course, she does things that were she a man, we might frown upon. She makes a spreadsheet of her dates, rates them in various categories, comes up with dopey names like "the Ethical Slut," and picks apart their shortcomings (and some of her own). It makes for passable toilet reading, and I am all for catching up on lost time (which seems to be the main thrust of the book), but really, it is less about overcoming anxiety and more about hooking up, which is fine too, just a bit of false advertising.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment