Wednesday, January 29, 2020

January 29

I have been thinking about this guy Brian a lot lately. Brian was one of my gym classmates for years. When I say we sweated together, I am not exaggerating. We would usually partner up to spar, to box, when intervals would require a partner for things like buddy push ups and the like. I knew him, which was to say we chatted for a few minutes before class and not much else. He was a good guy. He was about 12 years older than me so when we first met I was in my mid 30s and he was in his mid 40s. I noticed as the years passed he would not be as consistent or regular in coming to class as he once was and he would tell me how it gets harder to stay motivated as you age. He was right. I am really struggling right now to stay motivated to go to the gym, which is unheard of, considering I have been a regular gym-goer for 20 years.

Most of it is the lingering ailments, just not feeling myself. Part of it is my diet which has been terrible for the past few months -depression eating induces lots of cravings for salty snacks and chocolate apparently- and I am struggling to get my motivation back to where it should be. Brian's demise was tragic - he collapsed a couple minutes after class one night and was dead before they got him to the hospital, which was only like 3 minutes from the gym. He was 55.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment