Thursday, January 16, 2020

January 16

The nickname "Scary Lawyer Guy" does not have anything to do with the manner in which I practice law. In fact, I am a pretty amicable attorney. I do not get into pissing matches with opposing counsel or throw tantrums in front of judges. To be honest, the adversarial nature of litigation is my least favorite part of being a lawyer. I am far more comfortable working in the shadows, advising, counseling, explaining to clients how to get themselves out of messes of their own creation.

No, the nickname arose of all places, at my gym. When I first moved to New Jersey and joined a local gym, I began taking a variety of classes and over time, coalesced around a few that had a number of regulars. I did not talk much then (or now) but over time (like, literally years) I did get to know a few of my classmates (one of whom died tragically minutes after one of our classes, another story for another time) and learned that before they got to know me, they referred to me as "scary lawyer guy" because all they knew about me was 1) that I was a lawyer and 2) that I was really intense in class. So that is that story. 


Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy

No comments:

Post a Comment