Tuesday, January 14, 2020

January 14

Comedy Central basically runs old episodes of The Office on a loop. This weekend, a bunch of Season 3 episodes were on. I like this era of the show very much. One of the episodes is The Initiation. The A story is about Dwight and Ryan going on a sales call together, but part of the B story (or maybe it was the C story) is Jim's assimilation with the crew in Stamford. He calls the Scranton office after hours assuming he will get the automated system, but Pam is there and answers. After a moment or two of awkwardness (Jim had professed his love for her, and when she rejected him, he left town), they fall quickly into easy conversation that goes on and on.


I related strongly to this scene. After my ex-girlfriend and I broke up, or more accurately, after she dumped me, the Pam-Jim scenario above happened *a lot* because we still (sort of) worked together. She would call me or I would call her on what should have been a quick, 30 second matter and an hour later, the conversation would still be alive and well. When we would eventually hang up, I would think to myself "how does she not see this?" There was no one I enjoyed talking to more and she would literally shoo people out of her office if they interrupted her while we were talking. In the fictional world of The Office, Pam and Jim lived happily ever after. I am left with these bittersweet memories and a recognition there is no such thing as a Hollywood ending.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment