Tuesday, July 23, 2019

July 23

When I first started blogging in 2011, I had some real delusions of grandeur. I had a Middle East peace proposal. I had ~ thoughts ~ about everything from Chris Hayes's original MSNBC show Up! With Chris Hayes to deconstructing the myth of Ronald Reagan. It was a heady time and I (sort of?) thought I might get discovered. That somehow, someway, someone in media would find my little corner of the internet, with its blend of culture, politics, and sports, and think, "we need this guy." 

I failed. Miserably. It was not for lack of trying and yes, a few things I have written garnered a modicum of attention. An early blog post analyzing Howard Stern's lawsuit against Sirius clocked more than 10,000 views (largely thanks to the now defunct Stern Fan Network). A commenter on one of my Mad Men recaps claimed to have shown my work to show creator Matt Weiner (who approved). I got some wonderfully supportive comments from Twitter followers when I wrote about getting my heart broken. But for the most part, over nearly 8 years and 700 posts, the number of people who read any given thing I write would not fill a college lecture hall (and in many cases, not even a classroom).

I mostly gave up on long form blogging. I write book reviews. I write a daily journal. Maybe it was the shell shock of Trump's election, but politics seemed ... pointless. Maybe I simply felt like the squeeze of spending hours on a carefully researched legal treatise on the Commerce Clause and its interplay with the Affordable Care Act was not worth the juice of 47 people bothering to read it. 

Recently, I have written a few lengthier blog posts. I can churn out 1,000 words fairly quickly. I just have to accept that I am doing it for my own enjoyment and nothing more. Maybe one day someone who matters will think my voice matters too.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment