Saturday, July 20, 2019

July 20

Twitter redesigned its interface. I do not like it. Forget "this is why we can't have nice things," I just do not understand why the company feels the need to keep tweaking itself (I know, the answer to all your questions is "money.") 

When I first joined Twitter in 2010, part of the appeal was the basic set-up. Over time, some things did improve (who among us mourns the manual RT?) but what was once a user-friendly timeline has now gone in the opposite direction. You cannot turn off your followers' retweets en masse (which makes a mess of your timeline when you follow as many people as I do). You cannot bulk delete your old tweets (Twitter's gotta mine your data, DUH!). You cannot default to seeing the newest tweets first; instead, Twitter makes you override its preference that you see tweets it thinks you would be most interested in first. On top of that, your timeline is slowly being swallowed by ads, recommendations, and "moments." 

It is not like I am going to quit the service, but why do things that will encourage people to spend less time on it?

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment