Thursday, July 18, 2019

July 18

The centerpiece of my week at the gym is Wednesday night. I go to a class benignly called "Work," but is in reality 50 minutes of high intensity interval training that combines aerobic, body weight, and hand weight exercises. It is intense, as I noted here

There is a woman in my class who I adjudge to be in her mid 20s. She is in phenomenal shape and we usually end up near each other (nb., I get to class before her, so nothing shady on my part). I use her as my pacer - I try my best to keep up with her, knowing she usually churns out a few more burpees and push ups and can lift more weight, but I usually do better than her on the aerobic side (particularly jumping exercises - jumping lunges, squat jumps, high knees, etc.) 

I know this probably sounds insane (and maybe a little creepy?) but I do it because I want to measure my ability against someone better than me. It keeps me motivated and engaged in my routine, it challenges me to do my best, and maybe it pushes her a little too.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment