Tuesday, May 12, 2020

May 12

I like sports. I grew up watching sports (and even playing a few). I am active. I like exercise. What is interesting to me is how we have realized sports are frivolous. Like, the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc are all multi-billion dollar businesses that if they went out of business tomorrow would adversely affect society precisely ZERO. Yes, people would lose their jobs, but in the big scheme of things, we don't need sports. I say this because it informs why both baseball and football are moving heaven and earth to underscore their necessity in society even as their relevance is nil. We survived without March Madness and Spring Training and I assume we will get by if the NFL does not come back either, but it will. As will baseball. As will college football. Why? Because there is too much money at stake. There is too great a risk to too many rich people that if the thing they have either made their fortunes on or took those fortunes and invested in this thing called sports was exposed as unnecessary, that would be bad for them. Meanwhile, states will lay off teachers and cops and sanitation workers but we will tune in every weekend to see Lamar Jackson and Pat Mahomes and we will gawk at Aaron Judge's home runs and Max Scherzer's strikeouts.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment