Tuesday, February 26, 2019

February 26

I ran into a woman at the gym last night I had not seen in close to ten years. She and I used to go to a different gym but she left and I had not seen her since. She was very complimentary, saying how I looked the same, etc .. and it was a pleasant (but brief) interaction. It got me thinking though - how much of my time have I spent doing nothing but working out and eating right? It is flattering to be almost 50 and not look my age, but to do so, this is how I have chosen to spend all those years. 

I am reading a book right now called The Elephant in the Room (which I will be reviewing soon). It is about a writer who, as he approaches 50, decides he needs to get in shape (he weighs 460 pounds). A lot of the book centers on regret, over the things the author did not do, was not able to do, or chose not to do because he was too heavy. I feel the same, except it is because of my own emotional and mental limitations. The places I have not visited, or the dates I did not go on, or the experiences I chose not to have because I was too much in my own head or would not alter my routine to accommodate someone (or something) else. 

They say unhappiness peaks in middle age, largely, I suppose, because you see the end on the horizon and dwell on all the time you wasted doing things like living your life in a gym.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment