Sunday, July 12, 2020

July 12

Another one of those days in my life I would relive if I could is this day in 1990 - July 12th. RFK Stadium. Grateful Dead. A blistering hot, DC summer's day and a "dry" summer with no smoky treats available anywhere. There are snippets of that day I still remember. A gorgeous young woman braiding my hair (yes, I once had enough and it was long enough to do so). Her getting dosed while doing it, me begging off of doing the same. A drum circle under a bridge that went on forever. Edie Brickell as the opening act, telling everyone to "enjoy the trip" as she walked off stage and what felt like 30 seconds later, a monster rainstorm coming down and lasting through most of the first set, the field turning into a muddy mess. The temperatures cooling and the second set opening with a twisted Foolish Heart > Victim that went into an iconic Dark Star that lasted for damn near a half hour. Brent singing I Will Take You Home and the camera panning to tiny little pictures of his daughters he kept on his keyboards. A Dear Mr. Fantasy that melted minds. The Weight encore. It is impossible to know in the moment that these are the times in your life you will remember forever, the ones you will yearn to go back to as life ages you, humbles you, and saps your joy. In those moments, you think anything is possible, that everything is possible, that nothing can hurt you. If I could only go back and talk to 19-year-old me and tell him to cherish those moments.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment