Sunday, August 9, 2020

August 9

 Today is the anniversary of Jerry's passing. I can still tell you exactly where I was when I heard the news. I was interning at the White House that summer, sitting at my desk in the Deputy Chief of Staff's office when one of my friends called. "Have you heard the news?" "What?" "Jerry died." This was back in the day when the internet was barely a thing and well before smart phones were even a twinkle in Steve Jobs's eye. It was such a dagger. It is hard to explain to people why someone's death who you've never met can affect you so profoundly, but Jerry was this larger than life figure but also painfully human. His passing, without it being too cliche, was also the death of a certain innocence, of youth and the promise of the future. The world is just a worse place without him here.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment