Monday, June 17, 2019

June 17

I really like Big Little Lies. I know I am not the ~ demographic ~ for the show, but it reeks of precisely the type of "prestige" TV that epitomizes stuff white people like. It is beautifully shot, the cast is full of scene-chewing acting heavyweights, and the core of the show is about how lies and secrets erode ourselves and our relationships. Admittedly, the characters can be hard to root for (another signature of prestige TV) they are self-absorbed, wealthy (and in a snobby way), and holding this secret, that one of their own killed a man (a man who routinely abused his wife and raped one of the other main characters, so, you can't say he didn't have it coming). 

As I watch Big I am reminded of why I tend to steer clear of most people - not that life imitates art that directly, but as a general matter, I have found people will elide the truth, or hide it altogether in service of their own wants and needs. It is rare to meet people who will be upfront and honest, and really, who needs all the drama when you can get it on your TV every Sunday night? 

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy  

No comments:

Post a Comment