Wednesday, June 12, 2019

June 12

I found out I am getting a raise. It is a funny thing. I have spent the last year or so trying to get promoted (and failing) so I could earn a salary I will now make without having to do any additional work. I should be happy. It seems like a win/win, but I find myself identifying a lot with the frustrated white collar workers highlighted in David Graeber's Bullshit Jobs

I want my work to be meaningful, for there to be some value in it, but most of the time, I feel like a paper pusher or an actor in Kabuki theater, where I and an adversary go through an elaborate, choreographed dance knowing the outcome of the case ahead of time. The nice thing about Bullshit Jobs is in finding out not just that other people feel the same way, but do similar things as I do (tweet, photography/other forms of art) as a creative outlet while also recognizing that for as much as we are unhappy with what we do, the money that comes with it discourages us from making any radical change.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment