Thursday, August 1, 2019

August 1

Today is Jerry's birthday. It is hard to express what Jerry means to me. He remains a daily presence in my life even though he's been dead for almost 25 years. When I was going to shows, there was something about Jerry that I found incredibly endearing. Sure, I vaguely knew of his heroin addiction, but before you could watch grainy videos of mid 80s shows when Jerry looked like warmed over death, his post-coma years transformed him into a big teddy bear whose moods we would try to divine based on the color of his t shirt, song selection, or a head nod in Bobby's direction. He was not a rock God, he was Uncle John (John being his middle name), the Dead was his band, and we were his children, coming home. I miss him every day, even knowing that had he lived, it is quite likely his productive music career would be over (he would be celebrating birthday number 77).  

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment