Friday, December 20, 2019

December 20

I have gone early-20th century, or maybe even 19th century, the past few days. We got hit with a cold spell and I have not turned on the central heating in my house, opting instead for using the gas fireplace which can competently heat the main level and upstairs provided the temperature does not drop below freezing. Well, the temperature dropped below freezing and the gas fireplace can only do so much. Thursday morning the thermostat flashed 54 degrees (it felt colder) and the fireplace could only get the temperature up to about 70 before I left for work. It was back in the mid-50s when I got home and topped out at about 72 when I went to bed. 

At about 3:45 I woke up to turn the fireplace back on and it was comfortable when I woke up around 6 a.m. (a rare "late" morning). Today is milder and it is going to warm even more over the next few days so I think I am out of the woods until New Year's. Why do I not just turn on the central heat? I don't know. The fireplace actually makes the house warmer so long as the outdoor temperature is not too bad and the basement can be cold and I can survive being down there with a space heater for short bursts.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment