Monday, December 16, 2019

December 16

I finished Watchmen today. I did not love it and the episodes were really dense (in terms of heaviness not obtuseness). At times, it felt like it was trying to be/do a couple of things at once and because of that, seemed more like a Frankenstein's monster of comic book fan service, social commentary, and super hero show. The social commentary story could have stood on its own - a dystopian future where white people get fed up with diversity and take up arms to the point where the cops need to wear masks is not far fetched when you think about Second Amendment sanctuary cities and the Bundy clan. Like, the next Democratic President is going to face obstruction on a level unseen, basically in the last 100 years. Would it shock me if white nationalists took up arms? Does the name Tim McVeigh mean anything to you? 

But this was all framed around the eponymous comic book that if you had not read (like me) would have helped to get some exposition at the beginning of the season, not the end. The writers abandoned the main plot for several episodes of fan service for comic book readers which kind of lost me and then got to an ending that tied everything together in a way that was marginally satisfying. I don't know, maybe I am not the ~ demographic ~ for the show.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment