Friday, September 27, 2019

September 27

I missed it earlier this week, but Hunter died. There was the predictable outpouring on Twitter, mostly lines from Ripple and Brokedown Palace. For me though, Box of Rain is his defining song. Box was the first Dead song I "got into," and without knowing its backstory, which I learned about some years later during a VH1 documentary called Anthem to Beauty. Hunter talked about how Lesh gave him a cassette of Lesh just humming the music to which Hunter placed lyrics quickly. Hunter went on to say that it was a song about a young man whose dad was dying. And as it turns out, that is exactly what was happening to Lesh's dad. I identified with the experience for having lost my dad when I was around Lesh's age and made it even more meaningful. 

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment