Tuesday, November 5, 2019

November 5

I made my yearly charitable donations today. I give money to animal shelters and soup kitchens, but honestly, it does not bring me any joy or sense of fulfillment. I believe in animal rescue. I believe in helping the less fortunate. But I also like the tax deduction. Does that make me a bad person? Are my motives impure? When I have talked to people I know about this, they suggest I volunteer instead. That the act of giving is more meaningful than simply writing a check. They might be right, but is it awful to say I value my time and I do not want to spend it volunteering? Why isn't money enough?

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

1 comment:

  1. Those organizations definitely need money to operate, so I see nothing wrong with just giving money. That doesn’t make you selfish. Also not wrong to like the tax deduction. That’s what it’s there for. You’re a good person; don’t beat yourself up so much.

    ReplyDelete