Thursday, October 21, 2021

The Idiot Tax and the Loser Tax

I often remind myself that in addition to the typical taxes I pay - sales, income, property, etc. - there are two others unique to my circumstances. One tax is what I like to call the "idiot tax" - basically, dumb shit I do that ends up costing me money. The most glaring example was a few years ago when I got into a car accident that was (probably?) my fault and ended up costing me thousands of dollars between the insurance deductible, the attorney to represent me in traffic court (I thought it better to get someone to represent me who knew what they were doing), the increase in my insurance premium, and of course, the extra money I had to shell out to buy a new car even after my insurance company totaled my old one (not to mention the money on top of that that I spent 8 months later because I didn’t like the new car I bought). True idiot tax - because I *had to* make it through that yellow light instead of waiting a whole extra minute, I not only almost got myself seriously injured but ended up much lighter in the pocket.

The other tax I pay is what I like to call the "loser tax" - which has two components. One loser tax is the one I pay b/c I have a myriad of inadequacies and hang ups (not to mention anxiety and depression) that make it effectively impossible for me to have normal relationships with women so I pay money to them to spend time with me instead. Let me repeat that: I am a loser who needs to pay women money to spend time with me. The other aspect of the loser tax is what is going to happen today: I need to take my car in for servicing (somehow, Subaru, maker of supposedly ~ rugged ~ vehicles has now recalled my car - TWICE - in 2.5 years) and because I am a friendless loser who is also estranged from his family, I have to pay to Uber back and forth to the dealership because I do not want to sit and wait or take time off from work to sit and wait. So, a "free" trip to the dealer will actually cost me $40 because I literally have no one I can ask for a ride back and forth. Great life you've created for yourself, SLG. 

No comments:

Post a Comment