Monday, August 12, 2019

August 12

I went to the cardiologist today. Relax, it was just an annual check up. I had chest pains some years ago (not something you want in your early 40s) and *that* is when the sentence "I went to the cardiologist today" was no chill. After a serious of tests, including one that required I keep a needle in my arm for hours (how I survived it, I do not know - I *hate* needles) there was no clear answer b/c my heart and the attendant valves and connectors that push all that blood into and around my body were fine.

The pains went away (perhaps stress?) but since then, I go back once a year. The same thing happens. I wait in the waiting room for an inordinate amount of time (I didn’t get into a room today until 30 minutes past my appointment time). There is always someone in a bad way (today, it was a woman with an oxygen machine humming away 5 feet from me as I tried to sink into the earth). A nurse weighs me (149 pounds, 22 BMI) and does an EKG. I try to not be awkward as she affixes the little sticky things to my hairy chest and leg. The test is taken, I never get the results. 

She leaves. I wait. The doctor comes in for a few minutes, I breathe in and out, sometimes deep full breaths, sometimes regular breathing. He asks how I'm sleeping. If there have been any changes in my diet. Checks my pulse at the ankles. Today, I also realized I have basically cut out cow-based meats - no hamburgers, no chili, no steaks, which is good. He told me to keep up the good work. The end. 

I guess it is just peace of mind at this point and the benefit of having a decent health insurance plan that allows for this at a reasonable co-pay even if I sat around waiting for more than an hour for 5 minutes of consultation.

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment