Thursday, May 16, 2019

May 16

The Wedding Singer was on TV this weekend. Aside from the spot on 80s homage and Jon Lovitz's absolutely classic scene-stealing version of Ladies Night, there was a scene toward the end hit a wee bit too close to home. Robbie (Adam Sandler) is at the bar drowning his sorrow at losing Julia (Drew Barrymore) and has the following conversation with his friend Sammy (Allen Covert):

  • Robbie That's it, man, starting right now, me and you are going to be free and happy the rest of our lives! 
    Sammy I'm not happy. I'm miserable. 
    Robbie Wha - what? 
    Sammy See... I grew up idolizing guys like Fonzie and Vinnie Barbarino because they got a lot of chicks. You know what happened to Fonzie and Vinnie Barbarino? 
    Robbie Yeah, I read that Fonzie wants to be a director and Barbarino, I think... the mechanical bull movie? I didn't see it yet. 
    Sammy Their shows got canceled. Because no one wants to see a fifty-year-old guy hitting on chicks. 
    Robbie So what are you saying? 
    Sammy What I'm saying is all I really want is someone to hold me and tell me that everything is going to be all right. 
    Old man in bar [Comes up behind him and hugs him]  Everything is going to be all right.

I will be 50 next year and I really do just want someone to hold me and tell me it will be ok. Dating is exhausting. Trying to find someone feels like a quest that will never end (much less in success). It is pathetic and lame, but when it is laid out in such basic terms, it feels like a slap in the face and a cold reality. 

Follow me on Twitter - @scarylawyerguy 

No comments:

Post a Comment